The Customer Consultative Group (CCG) provides advice to the AER in relation to our functions under the energy laws affecting energy consumers across participating jurisdictions.
The inaugural CCG was appointed in 2009 to enable informal consultation on the development of retail guidelines and to assist the AER in developing an understanding of retail issues prior to the commencement of the National Energy Retail Law and Rules in relevant jurisdictions on 1 July 2012.
Membership provides participating organisations with the opportunity to inform the AER about issues that impact on the groups they represent. It also provides members with the opportunity to meet with other consumer representatives to discuss key energy consumer issues.
How the group works
CCG meetings are held up to three times a year.
Members are required to consult with their constituency outside the CCG meetings and members are expected to provide comment on:
- issues and energy market developments affecting energy consumers that fall within the scope of the AER's functions under the National Electricity Law, the National Gas Law and the National Energy Retail Law;
- information dissemination strategies and appropriate external networks available to enhance communication with community and consumer groups and energy consumers; and
- issues as requested by the AER.
By providing advice on the above issues, members assist the AER in carrying out its functions under the national energy legislation.
In May 2017, the AER reconstituted its CCG for a minimum two year period. Information on the membership of the previous CCGs, can be be found on the past membership web page.
There are currently 12 members of the CCG:
- Alternative Technology Association
- Brotherhood of St Laurence
- Care FCS
- COTA Australia
- Country Women's Association of Australia
- Ethnic Communities Council of NSW
- National Retail Association
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre
- Queensland Council of Social Service
- St Vincent de Paul Society
- Tasmanian Council of Social Service
- UnitingCare Australia