The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) has released its Strategic Plan 2020-2025. The report outlines the agency's purpose, vision, and objectives over the next 5 years.
The AER exists so that energy consumers are better off, now and in the future. Our Vision is to be a high performing regulator that:
- Is independent, open and accountable
- Builds trust in Australia’s energy system
- Takes considered risks
- Ensures the regime is fit for purpose
- Engages actively with stakeholders.
The outcomes we aim to achieve with this Strategic Plan are grounded in the COAG Energy Council’s Strategic Energy Plan outcomes: Affordable energy and satisfied consumers; Secure electricity and gas system; Reliable and low emissions electricity and gas supply; Effective development of open and competitive markets; and Efficient and timely investment in networks.
To support these outcomes, we have articulated 4 key objectives.
- Protect vulnerable consumers while enabling consumers to participate in energy markets
- Effectively regulate competitive markets primarily through monitoring and reporting, and enforcement and compliance
- Deliver efficient regulation of monopoly infrastructure while incentivising networks to become platforms for energy services
- Use our expertise to inform debate about Australia’s energy future and support the energy transition.
To our many and varied stakeholders, we are committed to:
- Proactively engaging and listening to understand their diverse perspectives
- Clearly communication our decisions and making it easy to engage with us
- Embracing creative ways of engaging that work for stakeholders, not just us
- Working in partnership with other energy market bodies and the Energy Council on matters of common interest.