Why we develop guidelines
The AER develops guidelines for wholesale market participants in response to new rules, or changes to rules, announced by the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC).
Our guidelines provide instructions to market participants on how we expect them to comply with the rules, including what data they are required to submit that indicates compliance.
Stakeholder engagement is a feature of our process to develop or review a guideline. We go through various stages of consultation to consider industry views and expectations. These stages include:
- publishing an issues paper
- consulting on the issues paper, including hosting stakeholder forums
- publishing draft guidelines
- consulting on the draft guidelines
- publishing final guideline
- highlighting the date when the final guideline comes into effect.