Under the National Energy Retail Law, a person is usually required to hold a retailer authorisation in order to sell energy. However, there are some circumstances where a person selling energy may be exempt from that requirement.

The AER administers retail exemptions. The AER is required to publish the details of businesses or persons who hold individual or registrable exemptions and must also publish any application for an individual exemption.