The AER monitors the performance of wholesale electricity and gas markets and publishes data from that monitoring in reports such as the annual State of the Energy Market and Wholesale Markets Quarterly report. This page provides the key data series for these markets; the charts and tables, as well as underlying data, which can be downloaded.
Electricity outcomes for the Q3 2020 have been updated and highlights include:
- Average quarterly prices (VWA) ranged from $34 per MWh in Queensland to $54 per MWh in Victoria.
- There was a record count of negative prices for any quarter in the NEM, as well as in Queensland and in South Australia
- South Australia recorded a weekly VWA price of $9 for the week starting 6 September, the lowest since 2012, driven by low demand and negative prices.
- South Australia experienced record low demand and Victoria experienced record minimum Q3 demand.
- Coal continued to offer significant capacity at low prices, driven by low fuel prices. While gas fuel prices remained low, gas capacity offered varied by region.
- Black coal output in Queensland was significantly lower than in Q3 2019, largely due to outages.
- Base Q1 2020 contract prices are below $90/MWh in all regions.