The AER monitors the performance of wholesale electricity and gas markets and publishes data from that monitoring in reports such as the annual State of the Energy Market and Wholesale Markets Quarterly report. This page provides the key data series for these markets; the charts and tables, as well as underlying data, which can be downloaded.
Outcomes for the 2019–20 financial year have been updated and include:
- Average 2019–20 gas market spot prices ranged between $5.77 per GJ in Brisbane and $7.13 per GJ in Adelaide.
This is the first time since 2015–16 financial year prices have been below $7.25 per GJ in all regions.
- Factors contributing to these price declines were falling international prices bearing on the domestic market and sustained high gas production, particularly in Queensland.
- Significant growth in the Day Ahead Auction of unused transportation capacity in 2019–20.
The auction has assisted in bringing cheaper northern gas to the southern markets, which has contributed to lower prices.
- Volume weighted average 2019–20 electricity spot prices ranged between $56 per MWh in Queensland and Tasmania and $84 per MWh in Victoria.
This is the first time since 2014–15 financial year prices have been below $90 per MWh in all regions.
- Record number of negative priced trading intervals in 2019-20, almost three times the previous record.
- Coal, gas and hydro have been setting significantly lower prices than a year ago.
Low fuel prices (particularly low gas prices) led to more capacity offered into the market at low prices.
- Record high renewable output and record low coal output since NEM start.
- Record financial year FCAS costs of $412m, largely driven by extraordinary Q1 2020 costs.