The AER monitors the performance of wholesale electricity and gas markets and publishes data from that monitoring in reports such as the annual State of the Energy Market and Wholesale Markets Quarterly report. This page provides the key data series' for these markets; the charts and tables, as well as underlying data that can be downloaded.
Electricity Q4 2021
Quarterly 30-minute prices, Q4 2021
- Average quarterly 30-minute prices (VWA) in Q4 2021 decreased in all regions except for Queensland and Tasmania compared to Q3 2021, with prices ranging from $30/MWh in Tasmania to $111/MWh in Queensland.
- The Queensland VWA price was the highest Q4 in Queensland on record, and the highest Q4 price in any region since 2009. This was driven by a number of 30-minute prices above $5,000/MWh.
- There were record Q4 Queensland base future and almost record cap contract prices for Q4 2021, driven by high prices during the quarter.
- Victoria and South Australia hit record minimum demand multiple times over Q4 2021.
- Q4 2021 had the lowest quarter average NEM generation since Tasmania joined the NEM in 2005, driven by dropping demand as rooftop solar uptake has increased.
- There were record annual total FCAS costs in 2021.
- Total FCAS costs for Q4 2021 were $132m, driven by record Q4 local Queensland costs of around $89m.
Gas Q3 2021
- Average downstream gas market prices in Adelaide , Brisbane, Sydney and Victoria increased significantly for the second quarter in a row ranging between $10.10/GJ - $11.51/GJ, setting new records in each market for Q3 2021.
- The Adelaide Q3 2021 price was highest at $11.51/GJ, beating its previous record average price of $10.45/GJ in Q2 2019.
- Record downstream quarterly prices were a result of high prices in July with prices reducing in all four markets to average under $10/GJ in both August and September.
- Record upstream prices at the Wallumbilla Gas Supply Hub in July 2021 with an average day ahead exchange traded price of $16.20/GJ at the Wallumbilla trading point, but prices dropped off for the rest of the quarter in August and September ($8.45/GJ and $8.11/GJ respectively).
- QSN link changed direction through the quarter flowing significant quantities of gas north in September after significant flows south in July.
- There was record average daily East Coast production across Bulletin Board registered facilities in September of 5684 TJ/day.