Consumers in embedded networks

What is an embedded network?

In some sites (typically apartment blocks, retirement villages, caravan parks and shopping centres) the electrical wiring is configured in such a way as to enable the owner of the site to sell energy to all the tenants or residents based there. This is known as an embedded network.

The owner of a site with an embedded network usually buys energy from an energy retailer and then ‘onsells’ the energy to the different consumers at the site. In some situations the energy sold by the owner may be generated on site. Most people that sell energy in embedded networks are known as exempt sellers because they do not need to become authorised by the AER as energy retailers. However, they do need to hold a valid exemption from the AER and to follow certain rules. These rules are there to protect your rights.

How does being in an embedded network affect your energy rights?

All energy consumers have protections and rights but they may be different if you buy your energy from an exempt seller; compared to when you buy your energy from an authorised energy retailer.

Choosing who you buy energy from

If you are in an embedded network you can buy your electricity from either an authorised energy retailer or an exempt seller. However, consumers in an embedded network may have difficulty buying energy from a seller other than from the exempt seller. This is because of the way the network has been wired or because energy retailers may not want to sell to a consumer inside an embedded network.

If you can choose and decide to buy from an energy retailer instead of the site’s exempt seller you will need to be careful that you don’t pay twice for network charges. Network charges are the fixed part of supplying energy to your home or business. Normally in an embedded network the owner or operator of the site pays the network charges and will then bill you for your share. This is not a problem if you buy your electricity from the owner or operator of the site. A retailer normally also charges consumers a network charge. To make sure you don’t pay twice you should check that the energy retailer will give you an ‘energy only’ offer or that the owner or operator of the site is able come to an arrangement with the retailer about who will bill you for your network charges.

For more information read our factsheet: How to access an authorised retailer of your choice if you live in an embedded network

Consumer of an authorised energy retailer

If you buy your electricity from an authorised energy retailer you will have access to all the protections that retailers are obliged to provide you under the National Energy Retail Law and National Energy Retail Rules. Refer to the ‘Get energy smart’ section of the Energy Made Easy website for more information.

To find out if your energy seller has been authorised by the AER check our public register of authorised retailers.

Consumer of an exempt seller

If you buy your electricity from an exempt seller, you have similar protections and rights. These are part of the ‘exemption conditions’ that the seller must comply with to sell energy in an embedded network and may be different to those of consumers outside an embedded network.

Your energy seller must tell you about your rights at the beginning of your contract or agreement. Your energy seller must also give you a copy of their exemption conditions and explain their obligations to you.

Residential consumers

If you are a residential consumer (for example, a long term resident in a caravan park, a resident in a retirement village or apartment building, or a tenant), your consumer protections will include:

  • flexible payment options if you are experiencing financial difficulty
  • clear and set time frames for receiving and paying bills
  • complaints handling arrangements
  • energy charges that are no higher than the standing offer prices that a local area retailer can charge contracted consumers
  • clear and reasonable disconnection procedures.

If you are a tenant you may also have energy related rights and obligations under your tenancy agreement.

AER factsheet - Buying energy from an exempt seller - Your rights and protections as a residential customer ( PDF 88.14 KB )

Commercial consumers

If you are a retail or commercial consumer (for example, if you operate a small business in a shopping centre) your protections will include:

  • clear, reasonable disconnection procedures
  • clear, set time frames for receiving and paying bills
  • energy charges that are no higher than the standing offer prices that a local area retailer can, in certain circumstances, charge their consumers (only small retail and commercial consumers)
  • complaints handling requirements.

AER factsheet - Buying energy from an exempt seller - Your rights and protections as a small business customer ( PDF 82.52 KB )

Translated and easy English information

The AER has translated and easy English fact sheets for small businesses and consumers on their rights and protections if they buy energy from an exempt seller.

Easy English

Easy English fact sheet - Residential customer - Your rights and protections when buying energy from an exempt seller ( PDF 1.61 MB )
Easy English fact sheet - Small business customer - Your rights and protections when buying energy from an exempt seller ( PDF 1.61 MB )


Fact sheet translations - Your rights and protections when buying energy from an exempt seller
Residential customer Small business customer
Arabic | العربية  Arabic | العربية 
Chinese simplified | 简体中文 Chinese simplified | 简体中文
Chinese traditional | 繁體中文 Chinese traditional | 繁體中文
Korean | 한국어 Korean | 한국어
Nepalese | नेपाली Nepalese | नेपाली
Vietnamese | Tiếng Việt Vietnamese | Tiếng Việt

Can the energy ombudsman help with a problem?

Exempt sellers and network operators who supply energy to residential consumers must join the energy ombudsman in their state or territory if membership is available. Please contact your state or territory ombudsman to discuss your complaint.

What to do if you live in an embedded network and your energy supplier goes out of business

The AER is concerned when embedded network energy suppliers go out of business as:

  • this can lead to loss of energy supply for customers within the embedded network, and
  • most customers within embedded networks may not be able to easily access a new source of energy.

An energy supplier is required to immediately notify the AER if there is any likelihood that it will be unable to continue to sell energy. Depending on the type of energy supplier, it may be required to advise their customers what steps it is taking to assist them in arranging an alternative supply. 

If your energy supplier is going out of business, there are steps you can take to switch your energy supply to an authorised retailer and limit the risk of disruption. Your best immediate option is to find an alternative retailer to take over responsibility for the embedded network. In the longer term, you may be able to arrange direct connection to the local energy network.

Finding an alternative authorised retailer

In the immediate term, we recommend you contact an alternative authorised retailer to see whether they will consider taking over responsibility for your embedded network. In these situations, that authorised retailer would sell energy to you, rather than your current energy supplier.  

The authorised retailers below have consented to being contacted about alternative retailer arrangements if your existing energy supplier fails. However, they are not obligated to do so and will assess your circumstances on a case-by-case basis.  

Please note that the AER does not endorse any specific authorised retailer as being suitable for your needs.

Alternative authorised retailers if your existing energy supplier fails
Authorised retailer  Contact details

Phone: 1300 323 263  

Humenergy Group Pty Ltd

Phone: 1300 322 622

Metered Energy

(QLD customers only)

Phone: 1300 633 637

Microgrid Power

Phone: 1300 647 888

Next Business Energy

Phone: 1300 208 966

Savant Energy

Phone: 0402 438 596

Utility Shop

Phone: 08 7127 1510

Connecting to local energy network 

In the longer term, you could seek to be ‘wired out’ of the embedded network and be connected directly to the main energy grid.

A connection to the main energy network may require infrastructure changes and could be a lengthy process. A distributor or retailer may also require you to contribute to the costs of the connection. See ‘New Connections’ for more details.

Your local distributor can provide you with information about how to connect to the network and the costs involved. To find the details of your local distributor, visit ‘Who is my distributor’.

Further guidance 

Please contact us at if you have concerns that your exempt seller is going out of business.