Why we develop guidelines
The AER develops guidelines for energy retailers to comply with energy retail law, rules and regulations that make up the National Energy Customer Framework .
Our guidelines provide instructions to market participants on how we expect them to comply with the framework, including what data they are required to submit to enable us to effectively monitor the retail market and make decisions in the best interest of consumers.
Stakeholder engagement is a feature of our process to develop or review a guideline. We go through various stages of consultation to consider industry views and expectations. These stages include:
- publishing an issues paper
- consulting on the issues paper, including hosting stakeholder forums
- publishing draft guidelines
- consulting on the draft guidelines
- publishing final guideline
- highlighting the date when the final guideline comes into effect.