Electricity and natural gas retailers are the companies that bill you for your electricity and/or gas service. You should contact your retailer for questions about:  

  • Getting connected to the network 
  • Electricity meters and meter reading 
  • Arranging for electricity or natural gas to be supplied to a home or business 
  • Electricity and natural gas sales by door-to-door or telephone salespeople, including questions about the accuracy of representations made by a salesperson. 
  • Rights in relation to cancelling a contract 
  • A new contract that was entered into without your consent 
  • Your energy bills – including energy prices, discounts, payment, energy usage, concessions, contracts, solar and renewable energy. 

Details to contact your retailer can be found on your energy bill.


Electricity and natural gas distributors own and maintain the distribution networks, including electricity powerlines and power poles, and natural gas pipelines that carry energy to houses and businesses. They are also responsible for natural gas meters. You should contact your distributor about:  

  • Natural gas meters and meter reading 
  • Powerlines and natural gas pipelines connecting a home or business to the network 
  • Electricity or gas outages 
  • Problems with supply quality, such as low voltage electricity – for example, low voltage may be the cause of dimming lights.  

Not sure who your distributor is? You can find out!

Who is my distributor?

Ombudsman schemes

Energy ombudsman schemes receive, investigate and facilitate the resolution of consumer complaints about electricity and gas companies. Their services are free to consumers.  

There are different ombudsman schemes for each state/territory.

Australian Capital TerritoryACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal02 6207
New South WalesEnergy & Water Ombudsman NSW1800 246 545
QueenslandEnergy and Water Ombudsman1800 662
South AustraliaEnergy and Water Ombudsman South Australia1800 665
TasmaniaEnergy Ombudsman Tasmania1800 001
VictoriaEnergy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria)1800 500 509

Independent state/territory energy regulators

Independent state/territory energy regulators are currently responsible for:  

  • Monitoring and enforcing state energy retail laws 
  • Setting maximum retail prices for standard retail contracts for electricity in all states except Victoria, and for standard contracts for gas in New South Wales and South Australia. 

You should contact your state/territory independent energy regulator for questions about:  

  • State/territory schemes providing compensation for poor energy quality – such as frequent blackouts 
  • Regulated retail energy prices (for consumers in Queensland, New South Wales, the ACT, Tasmania and South Australia). If you are in Victoria, price-related questions should be directed to your energy retailer.  
StateEnergy regulatorWebsite
Australian Capital TerritoryIndependent Competition and Regulatory
New South WalesIndependent Pricing and Regulatory
Northern TerritoryUtilities
QueenslandQueensland Competition
South AustraliaEssential Services Commission of South
TasmaniaOffice of the Tasmanian Economic
VictoriaEssential Services Commission of
Western AustraliaEconomic Regulation

State/territory energy departments

State/territory governments are responsible for government administered energy programs and rebate schemes that include:  

  • Solar power schemes and other renewable energy schemes 
  • Energy efficiency advice 
  • State government energy efficiency programs and rebates. 
Australian Capital TerritoryACT Environment and Planning
New South WalesNSW Climate and Energy
Northern TerritoryNT Department of Mines and
QueenslandQLD Department of Energy and Public
South AustraliaSA Department for Energy and
TasmaniaTA Department of State
VictoriaVIC Department of Energy, Environment and Climate
Western AustraliaWA Department of Treasury - Public Utilities