Contact your energy retailer or distributor

To make a complaint about your energy service, contact your energy retailer or distributor as soon as possible to explain the problem and the outcome you want. In many cases a phone call can fix the problem.  

If you are unhappy with the initial response you can ask to speak to a senior manager or put your concerns in writing. That way your energy provider is clearly aware of the problem and what you want, and you also have a record of your contact. 

When contacting your energy provider about your complaint (by phone or in writing) you should:  

  • Give them your name and your account number
  • Explain the problem 
  • Explain the outcome you want 
  • Outline the steps you will take if you and your energy provider cannot resolve the problem 
  • Ask for a response within a reasonable timeframe – for example, 2 weeks or 10 business days. 

Make sure you keep copies of any letters, emails or documents that you send as well as details of any calls you make or people you speak with.  

When to contact your electricity or gas retailer

Your retailer can be contacted for questions about:  

  • Getting connected to the network 
  • Arranging for supply of electricity or gas to your home or business 
  • Concerns with salespeople or how the service was sold to you 
  • Your rights in relation to cancelling or varying a contract 
  • A new contract that you think was entered into without your consent 
  • Billing issues. 

When to contact your electricity or gas distributor

Your distributor can be contacted for questions about:  

  • Your electricity and gas meters 
  • Power lines and gas pipelines connecting your property to the network in your street 
  • Power or gas outages 
  • Problems with supply quality such as low frequency (for example, when your lights dim). 

The AER makes determinations on customer connection disputes with electricity distribution businesses under Part 10 of the National Electricity Law. Disputes arise when a customer is unable to reach agreement with a distribution business on the terms and conditions of connecting to the network. 

Energy ombudsman schemes

If you are having difficulty resolving a problem directly with your energy provider, you can contact the energy ombudsman scheme in your state/territory.

View our Useful contacts page that contains contact details for ombudsman schemes.

The ombudsman offers free, independent and impartial dispute resolution services, and can help you resolve problems you have with your energy provider when you have not been able to do so directly.