Since 2007, the Australian Energy Regulator has reported to policy-makers, industry and the Australian community on the state of the energy market.
This flagship report provides independent and reliable information about what’s happening in Australia’s wholesale electricity and gas markets, the transmission and distribution networks and the rapidly evolving retail sector. It draws on a range of sources, including our market performance reports, internal monitoring and intelligence, regulatory reviews of energy networks, and external resources. The report uses non-technical language to consolidate this material, highlighting trends and key issues across the electricity and gas industries. The report consists of a market overview, supported by chapters on the electricity, gas and energy retail sectors. It focuses on activity over the past 12–18 months in those jurisdictions in which the AER has regulatory responsibilities.
The 11th edition, published on 17 December 2018, covers a period of intense energy market activity. We welcome comments from stakeholders at email@example.com, and may correct errors drawn to our attention.
In March 2019, the AER widened its State of the energy market coverage by publishing excel data files for all charts and tables appearing in the 2018 report. High-resolution versions of selected maps and infographics are also available upon request.
- State of the energy market 2018
- State of the energy market, May 2017
- State of the energy market 2015
- State of the energy market 2014
- State of the energy market 2013
- State of the energy market 2012
- State of the energy market 2011
- State of the energy market 2010
- State of the energy market 2009
- State of the energy market 2008
- State of the energy market 2007