The AER has begun an ambitious program of work to ensure our culture and ways of working will support us in achieving the vision set out in our Strategic Statement: to ensure all Australian energy consumers are better off, now and in the future. We are changing how we operate - from our structure and workforce, to our governance, culture and ways of working. This Strategic Transformation Program is likely to last around 18 months and takes place against the backdrop of a fast-changing market, which has in turn led to a significant expansion in the AER’s responsibilities and resources.
The first key element of the change program - a new organisational structure – launches today and creates eight branches, all of them different from the current structure:
- Consumers & Markets branch: this branch will provide challenge on consumer issues, expertise on consumer engagement and insight, retail market consumer protection, and regulation of emerging business models. Sarah Proudfoot is this branch’s General Manager.
- Market Performance branch: this branch will monitor and report on retail and wholesale businesses’ performance and lead an organisation-wide approach to data systems. Peter Adams is this branch’s General Manager.
- Transmission & Gas branch: this branch leads the AER’s strategy in relation to transmission and gas businesses, including delivery of resets. Sebastian Roberts is this branch’s General Manager.
- Distribution branch: this branch leads the AER’s strategy in relation to electricity distribution businesses, including delivery of resets. Chris Pattas is this branch’s General Manager.
- Networks Finance & Reporting branch: this branch will support the Distribution and Transmission teams with specialist finance and modelling expertise, and lead on network performance reporting. Warwick Anderson is this branch’s General Manager.
- Strategic Communications & Corporate Services branch: this branch manages the AER’s story, communications and relationships, and ensures that services are in place to support its work. Tim Mahony is this branch’s General Manager.
- Policy & Performance branch: this branch will help develop the AER’s insight and perspectives on key energy and regulatory issues, provide analytical services to the whole organisation and support how the AER develops as an organisation.
- Compliance & Enforcement branch: this branch’s remit is to develop and implement a strategic, risk-based approach to compliance, so that all regulated businesses meet their obligations.
Find out more about updates to our program by signing up to our regular stakeholder newsletter Energy Dispatch.