Today the AER released its compliance and enforcement priorities for 2020-21. Our priorities should be read with our Statement of Expectations of energy businesses; which sets out the ten principles we expect to be adhered to during this time, to the maximum extent possible.
For 2020-21 our focus is on supporting customers and the market through COVID-19 by:
- Ensuring customers in financial difficulties can access affordable payment plans and hardship programs.
- Focussing on life support protections.
- Supporting the transition to metering contestability.
- Looking at the provision of accurate and timely information to the AER and the Australian Energy Market Operator.
- Upholding strengthened gas markets reporting requirements and ensuring access to pipeline capacity under the East Coast Gas Reforms.
The AER will undertake compliance and monitoring activities on these priorities, and where appropriate, enforcement action in line with the AER Compliance & Enforcement Policy.