The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) today released its 11th State of the Energy Market Report.
Energy markets are complex, so the State of the Energy Market Report aims to provide a deeper understanding of our sector and how our markets operate. The energy sector is undergoing a significant and unprecedented transformation. Transparency is critical during these times so consumers have information that explains the outcomes they are seeing in their hip pocket, so Governments have information to guide future policy, and so market participants have transparency about the market in which they are investing and operating.
2018 saw a variety of energy issues in debate including:
- rising retail energy bills
- how renewable generation is changing the market
- how Australia’s gas industry is balancing the needs of foreign and domestic customers
- the challenge of managing energy networks to meet customers’ expectations
- how governments should, or should not, intervene in the market
The AER hopes readers find this year’s report interesting, and that it contributes to informed and productive policy debate.