Moving house

Remember these tips when moving house and you shouldn’t have any problems:

  • Give at least 3 days notice, that way the disconnection and reconnection will go smoothly. You may be required to give a longer period of notice, talk to your retailer about what you need to do.
  • You may be required to pay an early termination fee if your old contract is for a fixed term and cannot be transferred to your new address.
  • If you are in a share house and the account is in your name, it is important to notify your retailer of your change of address and to arrange for one of the other occupants to take over responsibility for the account at your old address.
  • If you are changing retailers you will need to give at least 2 days notice.
  • Even if you find that your new property is still connected when you move in, you still need to contact a retailer to set up your contract and account.
  • Remember, if you don’t cancel the contract, you may be charged for energy that is used at your old address after you have left.
  • If you paid a security deposit when you moved in and agreed to the contract, make sure it is refunded when you move out and cancel the contract.

For further information about what to do when moving house you should contact your retailer.

How to get a new electricity or gas connection at my property

These pages have further information about choosing a retailer and arranging a connection for your property.

The following factsheets also have more information on arranging new connections when you are moving house, building your house and renting: