The gas pipeline information disclosure guidelines (Guidelines), price reporting guidelines and accompanying documents are required under Part 10 and Part 18A of the National Gas Rules. They are intended to improve transparency and the bargaining power of users of gas pipelines and stand-alone compression and storage facilities. The final Guidelines and templates address key issues raised during the consultation process. They set out the prescribed transparency information for gas pipelines and compression and storage facilities, including methodologies and what and how to publish this information. The final gas pipeline information disclosure guidelines comprise the:
- pipeline information disclosure guidelines
- explanatory note to the pipeline information disclosure guidelines
- Part 10 financial reporting template including the pricing template (for gas pipeline users)
- Part 10 basis of preparation template
- Part 10 financial reporting template and basis of preparation template handbook
- Part 18A price reporting guidelines (found within the Guidelines)
- Part 18A actual prices payable template (for stand-alone compression and storage facility users)
About the guidelines
The Guidelines are intended to improve transparency and the bargaining power of gas pipeline users. They set out the prescribed transparency information that service providers of both scheme and non-scheme pipelines must publish.
The Guidelines, financial template and pricing template apply to all gas pipeline service providers under Part 10 of the National Gas Rules.
About the pricing template
The pricing template is found within the Part 10 financial reporting template. It transforms financial information published by a service provider in the Part 10 financial reporting template into pricing benchmarks for each pipeline service. While service providers are not bound to set tariffs using these pricing benchmarks, the benchmarks will nevertheless assist pipeline users to negotiate a fair price for access to pipeline services.
About the Part 18A price reporting guidelines
The Part 18A price reporting guidelines are found within the Guidelines. They set out the information disclosure requirements for all service providers of storage and compression facilities. Service providers of these facilities must publish standing terms (including standing prices) and actual prices payable information. The Part 18A price reporting guidelines require that service providers must publish actual prices payable information by completing the template.
In March 2023, the gas pipeline reforms to the National Gas Law and the National Gas Rules commenced, facilitating the establishment of a simpler regulatory framework to support the safe, reliable and efficient use of and investment in gas pipelines.
Under the gas pipeline reforms, the AER is required to publish information disclosure guidelines, which applies to all pipeline service providers. It is also required to publish price reporting guidelines, which applies to all service providers of stand-alone storage and compression facilities. To ensure a comprehensive and inclusive approach, the AER undertook the following consultation activities:
- On 5 April 2023, an introductory forum was held on the gas pipeline reforms.
- On 6 April 2023, an issues paper was published and stakeholders were invited to provide feedback on various questions related to the Guidelines.
- On 26 July 2023, draft gas pipeline information disclosure guidelines (draft Guidelines) and templates were published.
- On 15 August 2023, a public forum was held to enable stakeholders to discuss the draft Guidelines and templates.
An overview of the gas pipeline reforms is available from the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water website.